November 20, 2011

good friends and good fun

Last night a group of my dear friends came together to help a friend. We all worked hard to put together a fundraising BBQ dinner in order to raise money to give to her to help with the medical expenses from her young son's leukemia. Several leaders took control and really put together an amazing dinner. A wonderful group of firemen came together and volunteered their time and did a TON to help as well. We also had a group of girl scouts come and help sell items for more money for our friend. We even had a local band come and play awesome live classic rock and donated their time for the cause as well. It was a night where a bunch of my friends worked hard, together, in unity... and we laughed a lot.

I had my daughter baby-sitting a bunch of the volunteers' kids (my youngest being one of them as well). I had my oldest son volunteering at the dinner. It is important that they witness how friendships should work... good ole "I would do anything to help" kind of friendships.

I started around 8:45 am rounding up items for the dinner. Some of the workers had been working for weeks... I was not home for more than 30 minutes at a time on Saturday... Once we got to the community center, we all turned it on into high gear. It looked great. The food was great.

but what was really great....

I had fun. I laughed. I danced. I talked. I got to see a ton of people who I haven't seen in awhile. I was able to hug a few. I served a ton of people. But, I really had a great time. At the end of the night, we were exhausted and had raised a ton on money for our friend.

so -this afternoon, I am talking about the dinner with my oldest... and he looks at me and says,

"You have really good friends to have fun with, mom. I hope one day I can have friends like those."

truer words have never been said...

I pray that he finds them too... and I pray that it does not take him the 40 years that it took me to find a circle like I have.

Thanksgiving is this week... and I have so much to be thankful for - I am truly thankful for my circle...
 it is good

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about that?