May 06, 2014

Hammers kill ceramics, knives ruin stuffed animals, and fire pits were made for cards and pictures

I was not a normal teenage girl...

 okay, insert your joke here... HA HA

What I MEANT to say is that I did not date several guys in high school. I fell in love in the third grade. I came home from church the first time I laid eyes on him and told my mother that I would marry him one day. I felt that way through elementary school, middle school, high school, and part of college. He was the sun in which my planet circled.  I missed some parties and get togethers because I only wanted to be with him. I was at church whenever the door was open because I needed to be with him. I pretended to be interested in certain topics and bored with others because of him. He was the best thing ever.... Then, we broke up. I laid on my floor (literally) for about three days crying. I refused food for a few days. I screamed. I listened to sad love songs and cried. I listened to bouncy love song and cried. I burned things and threw stuff away. Years of memories haunted me and I lived through them looking at pictures over and over. Then one morning, I was good. I bounced back.


All of that to say - it sucked as a hormonal teenage girl

BUT IT SUCKS MORE AS A MOM

Yesterday, my daughter cried. She listened to love songs and cried through them. She couldn't bring herself to eat much supper even though I ordered her favorite meal. We had a funny ceremonial breaking ceramic gifts in the driveway (it was hilarious and she is pretty good with a hammer).


Now I know that she will live through this - I did and am so much better because of it.

I know that she is so young and has so much more to do and live and love.

But watching her heart hurt made me want to hurt him...




So, Thank you to my mother who stood in my doorway and let me cry. Thank you to my mother who laid on the floor beside me. Thank you to my mother who sent me to Georgia for the weekend to have fun and move on. Thank you to my mother who did not remind me that "this was better for me"... She just let me move through it at my own pace.

I am sure it broke her heart too.

Because I am sad today as well



(But for the record - My daughter is amazing! 
When she left for school this morning, 
she promised me that she would 
"rock the day because she is Amanda Sublett's daughter!"
 I love her smile this morning more than ever)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about that?