December 11, 2014

Sonic boom can't do it

My oldest has been struggling in the mornings... Like all good parents, Scott and I want him to grow into an amazing adult. We want him to get up without help... 
Set the alarm, sleep, hear the alarm, turn it off and get up

This is not happening.

For months, I tried everything. Loud alarms. Multiple alarms. Alarms across the room. Alarms inches from his head. Cup filled of cold water thrown in the face. Phone restrictions.

You name it.

But for some reason, this week I started thinking. He isn't being rebellious. He is apologetic and just as upset as I am. He WANTS to get up. For the first time ever, he wants to go to school. His grades are amazing. 
He is doing things at school that he enjoys.

So why is he not getting up?

I am so thankful for his doctor... I called her office and did not get her voice mail. She answered! As awesome as she is, it still catches me off guard... She took the time to listen and ask questions. She didn't offer suggestions until hearing it all. She sensed my concern and never mentioned that I was crazy or called my son disobedient... She ordered blood work immediately.

I am so thankful for Sonya Glavin.... At SAS, we have a full medical facility to use. They are wonderful and truly care. I have been scared of doctors for most of my adulthood. I have avoided them like a middle school boy avoids a shower... but my Dr Glavin is different. From the first moment on the phone, someone hears my concern and finds me an answer. Then my wonderful doctor offers ideas and suggestions, but also reassures me that I am not crazy (any more so than normal).

So far the tests are coming back that my son is fine. He struggles with several issues, one being OCD. It seems that Alex has habituated himself to loud noises while sleeping. He doesn't hear them. See, he doesn't hear the alarm, and hit the snooze - He sleeps through them for over an hour of constant noise. It is amazing to watch. It is actually quite scary. We have moved a smoke detector inside of his room... but when asleep, he does not hear it.

We are trying a new technique for awhile to re-train his brain... Each morning, I now silently enter his room. I gently rub his arm and then whisper "get up, Bud"... So far, both mornings, he has woken up immediately, smiled and gotten up and headed to the shower. 

It is the weirdest thing. 

A sonic boom can't do it

but my whisper can

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about that?