February 03, 2013

Happy 70th, Mom!

Every time I sang anywhere... She was there
Every time I was sick... She was there
Every time I needed anything... She was there

My mom has always been involved in my life... She knows most of what I have done, and she loves me regardless... She was always present.

I never appreciated it while growing up. I wished that she would sit out for a concert or two... Maybe miss a conference or concert. I wanted her to lay low....

Then I started teaching

When getting ready for a concert, I was shocked to watch some parents drive their child to the concert... Then drop them off and return afterwards. Even when the concerts were free, there would still be students waiting outside for 30-45 after a concert waiting on a parent for a ride. When teaching middle school, I would have to allow kids to stay after school in my classroom until 7pm for the concert just to ensure that they would be there for the concert. We would hang out and order pizza... Their parents would grab them after the show...

I realized how blessed I was...

I never wondered where she was...

Even now, I can find her across the street... Watching out the window to see my oldest climb a tree, my youngest on his swing, or the middle child supervising the action...

Happy birthday, mom...I hope I aggravate my kids like you aggravated me... Because that means that in a few years, they will realize just how blessed they are too... Blessed that my mother taught me how to be a great mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about that?