March 10, 2013

Took 41 years... But I did it

When I was a child, I adored my grandfather. He let me work in the garden with him. He taught me how to climb a tree. He let me pick grapes and eat them without washing them first. He would let me ride in the wheelbarrow while he ran around his backyard. He would eat my butter beans or other yuckies while my dad wasn't looking. He taught me how to scrape them into my napkin then excuse myself to the bathroom to flush them down the toilet! He let me wrap Tippy (his dog) in a towel and pretend he was my baby. But most of all, he always fixed me a cup of coffee when he fixed his... I'm sure it was milk/sugar with just a splash of coffee... But it made me feel like I was such a grown-up and his absolute favorite grandchild!

When I would have an "only child stubborn and spoiled" temper tantrum, I always threatened to run away to my papa's house... My mother always said, "Honey, it is too far away. You could not run that far..."

She is no longer right about that...

A couple of months ago, I had a momentary brain loss... I signed up to run a half marathon. It is scheduled for March 17th... However a few weeks ago, I was asked to helped with Jessica's confirmation class and retreat... It is very important to my daughter and to me... So, this means that I had a way out of the marathon!

But then I got to thinking... If I made a commitment to myself to run a half marathon, I needed to do it. No more excuses. I had been training. I had been wanting that 13.1 sticker on my pilot. I could do it...

My oldest son was working on a hiking merit badge. He needed to complete 20 miles yesterday. I vowed to do at least 13 miles with him and his father would do 7 miles with him. Saturday, we got up at 7:30 to stretch and prepare. He packed a backpack of Gatorade and we headed out... I have to admit that I really felt great for the first 10 miles! The last couple were a sincere struggle...

 I did it! I completed 13.2 miles in under three hours.

As he and I approached our 7th mile, we were cresting the top of Guess Road, and to my left was my papa's house... I could not help but smile...

It may have taken me 41 years, but I CAN run away to my papa's house. He would be so proud. I wish he were still here... I could run up there and enjoy a wonderful cup of coffee and laugh over our good times from years past...

1 comment:

  1. So wonderful! Run baby run! I am so inspired by you. What a blessing to have such a wonderful grandparent. I just love you!!!! Celebrating with you! Love,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete

What do you think about that?