September 28, 2012

empty closet

I am a minimalist...
Don't get me wrong, the Sublett family has a lot of junk... but when it comes to "my junk," I have a 6 month rule... If I have not used it, worn it, or needed it in the last 6-9 months, GET RID OF IT.
 
When it comes to my closet, I have followed that rule religiously. I have never understood having sizes from 10-20 in your closet. That would have been depressing to me over the last 17 years. After gaining the weight from 1994-1995, I have been a size 20-22. I had NOTHING in my closet that I could not wear at anytime. I could fit into everything in there. There were no "skinny" clothes or chubby clothes... it was just all ready-to-wear-fatwear.
 
Yesterday was my support group meeting... I've lost a few pounds, so I knew I had a few items that were getting bigger... but I tried on 7 shirts before I could find a nice shirt that I felt okay in... My favorite go-to shirt (my favorite pink gingham from Talbot's) looked huge. I could wrap it across my body like a wrap-shirt. A wonderful feeling, but alarming when you need to get dressed! So, I decided when I got home, I would try to go through my closet a little.
 
...I need to go by the goodwill and my secret closet today....

I have three garbage bags of clothes to consign and 47 hangers that are now empty in my closet and empty drawers too.

It is true that I need to get rid of clothes that no longer fit - but I am not ready to go crazy shopping. I have no use for a new wardrobe that will not fit in a month or two...

I stopped by Goodwill this afternoon. I was able to grab a couple of pairs of jeans... they will tide me over until I am ready to go shopping again!

Love all of you - thank you for your support and well wishes. Having the support of friends and family has made this so much more of a fun ride!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about that?