September 08, 2012

one month

My surgery was August 9th at 10am... It was a long day... I had a trusted friend/nurse/sleepover buddy. I had my man. I had my parents. I had several friends emailing and texting well wishes and words of encouragement. It was the day that would forever change my life....
 
One month has brought many changes. I no longer can eat supper in 15 minutes... unless I only want to eat 5-8 bites! Meals last from 45 minutes to an hour now. I no longer want sweets... I long for meat. I have discovered that I can still eat popcorn as long as I steer clear of the kernels. I have had no episodes of being sick. I have been very careful about what I eat...
 
I have gone out to eat with my friends and family... I am getting used to the weird looks when I say, "no drink for me"... the server asks me at least 3-5 times throughout the meal if he/she can bring me a drink.
 
I have learned that I should ask for a "to go" box immediately, or just share with someone... When at Olive Garden last week, I ate four bites of Jessica's meal... and then one piece of chicken from my mother's dish... I am a cheap date.
 
I no longer have any desire for alcohol... I do, however, LONG for a diet mountain dew...
but have resolved myself to never again taste it.
 
 
Most importantly, I am losing weight. I can only see it in my face though... I know that my clothes are getting bigger. I no longer stretch t-shirts as I put them on - they fit right out of the dryer.
 
I have lost around 25 pounds this month.
 
I am walking a lot. I am trying to get my family to do it with me... but other than maybe 3 or 4 times, I am on my own... But that is okay - I am learning to enjoy the solitude and the time to unwind and think... I will return to exercise classes this coming week. I am nervous about them, but looking forward to lifting weights and toning.
 
so - I am one month out from getting my vertical sleeve... I still only have one regret.
 
I wish I could have had the surgery years ago...
 
(I do secretly still wish I could have had gastric regardless of what was "best" for me - but only because I want to lose weight faster!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about that?