October 16, 2012

big scary man... not

Today, I was reminded how racist or stereotypically biased I was raised...
 
As I was leaving my wonderful grocery store (after freely giving them all of my money), I noticed a man standing near my car... now, in my childhood I would have been scared of this man. He was huge... maybe 280-300 pounds... balding, with some scruffy facial hair... black as night... dressed in outdoor, hard-work-dirty clothes... and he looked angry.
 
I continued to my car, and I could tell that he was getting more and more frustrated... walking around his car and pacing...
 
I quickly got loaded my food and got into my car... then thought, what the heck? I am a grown up. I am friends with people of all sizes and colors. Why am I acting like the little girl who would hide behind her dad when we would go downtown to Kings to get a hot dog before a ballgame?
 
I rolled my window down and asked him if he needed any help.... he turned angrily and fast... then his face softened. He said, "thank you so much - I can not find my keys. I must have dropped them somewhere in the store or here in the lot or even in my car. I have ice cream here in the cart, and my wife will not answer her phone."
 
So, I said, "hop in! Ice cream is too important to waste! I can take you home, then she can drive you back up here to get your car later"
 
The gentleman refused, but I kept on... then he said, "are you sure?" 
For some reason, I was sure.
 
So, he loaded his groceries in my backseat and down the road we went. I got him to his home, he unloaded my backseat, then said.... "Thank you. I have to admit I was surprised that you helped me, I mean, you being a white lady and all"
 
 
gulp
 
how pathetic are we... all of us need help... all of us have hurts, joys, pains, and laughter...
 
help someone today... out of your comfort zone...
maybe when you need help, it will come full circle!

1 comment:

What do you think about that?