October 04, 2012

i ran

I have been walking since the day of my surgery... I started that night, walking laps in the hall...
they were slow, but they were laps.
 
I have tried to walk at least 3 miles every time I have walked for the last month... I have sweat (always hated sweating). I have hurt (not a big fan of that either). I have tried to run (the distance of a front yard only).
 
I have not. enjoyed. a single. time.
 
The few times I have been with friends on my walks (Sunday evenings), I have loved every moment of catching up with them socially... but Holly has legs that have to be 6 feet long and is a gazelle. And Evie jogs like a beast....
 
until tonight
 
At the last minute, I decided to go walk while the kids were at youth for one hour. I knew it was not a lot of time. But I had a busy day filled with things for everyone else. I desired to do one thing for me. These days, in this economy, there are not many things that can do that are just for me...
but exercise is free!
 
I started my laps with some great music on. The air was thick and humid, and I was sweaty before I hit the sidewalk... after one lap, I thought "I will just jog this one stretch for Evie"... but at the end of the stretch I kept running... I ran one full lap...
 
It was not fast... it was not pretty... my breathing was that of a 100 year old smoker... and I probably looked like a big fat chick trying to get to the all-you-can-eat-buffet table
 
but I ran
 
For the first time ever, I loved every step. It was exhilarating. I was proud of myself.
 
I was really proud. After the first lap, I wanted to call Evie and SCREAM that I had done a full lap... but dern it, she was in Bible study! But by the end of the 3.2 miles, I wanted to tell the world because I could not believe that I had lived to share the moment.
 
I ran every other lap... half of my 3.2 miles
 
 
So, ladies (and gentlemen if there are actually any who read this), keep it up. Whatever you are doing to help your body... if you are not enjoying it, keep it up... give it a true chance. I could see the changes in my body which is the only reason I continued... until tonight. Now, I have the "bug". It took 7 weeks... but I finally caught it.
 
October 27th I will run/power walk in my first ever 5K... I absolutely cannot wait. For most, a 5K is a quick workout... for this FORMER fat chick it will be a miracle come true.
 
our God is still in the business of miracles... watch out!

2 comments:

  1. I'm about to cry. I am so proud of you. You are such an encouragement to me. I've lost 36 pounds since June and been exercing since August and it is still a struggle....BUT reading about your struggle/victory is inspiration to me:) SOOOOO Happpy for you! You Rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO proud of you ....Keep up the great work and thank you for reminding me that the one thing I can do for me is to EXERCISE!! You are very inspiring. I need to get healthy!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think about that?