January 14, 2013

generous friends...

God is still listening...
 
I have to confess my frustration and anger...
My oldest son is a boyscout. He loves it. He thrives in it. He would rather live outside than breathe. Building fires, 50 mile bike rides, sleeping in a hammock, camping in the pouring rain, hiking up a hill, climbing a mountain... he loves every moment. This summer is a 2 week long trip to New Mexico for hiking and back packing... It is called "Philmont".
 
Scott and Alex plan to go
 
I did not want them to go
 
We were told that the trip could be between $1500-2000 a person. This did not slow down either one of them. It did, however, slam the brakes for me.
 
Being a basically one income family, I look at the thought of spending more than we have in a month on a two week trip for only two of us.... well, it infuriated me.
 
I complained. I argued. I pouted. I had a coniption. I might have even thrown a little of a hissy fit.
 
Then God moved.
 
Last week, in a moment of pure anger (okay, probably not pure, but I was really ticked), I told them both that if the two of them went, the rest of us would not be able to get a single vacation or even a night out of town. I tried to guilt them into seeing that two out of five of us would get the trip of a life time... while three of us stayed home... and I was mad.
 
But God... He likes to sit back and let me have my fit... I bet He even chuckles as He looks at my little temper tantrum, thinking, "When will she ever learn that I can handle this?"
 
Friday, Scott received a call that a former scout parent wanted to help out a father/son team heading to Philmont this year.... my men were chosen... what a gift... Half of the trip will be paid by an annoymous giver... Words cannot describe the appreciation my two guys feel...
 
However... I still looked at the budget and said, "Good Grief... that's great, but you two better start cutting lawns and selling stuff..." 
 
Sunday, I was running around our church... litterally, I was jogging and trying not to pass out... but while running, I was praying. I had left my earbuds in my car by accident, and so I was just talking to God about things that were close to my heart. I prayed over some friends in crisis, my children and the direction their lives will take, and then our finances... After a few miles, I just felt a peace. I really cannot explain it other than to say that I trusted that God would work it out... whatever and wherever we are supposed to be would work out... either way.
 
Today, Scott was given a check from a family friend... had no idea this friend had planned to help my kid... there was no reason for this precious act of generousity....  I am humbled and thankful.
 
It is hard for me to receive gifts like this... but it is for my kid... maybe that helps. Or maybe it is the fact that God told me that He would handle everything and He chose to use this friend as a helping hand...
 
Regardless, the amount that will be left over following these two generous gifts... well, it is the EXACT amount that I had budgeted for summer scout camp.
 
How crazy is the God I serve? These two men had no idea what our needs were or how much would be needed to make this trip possible.... but God did... and it is handled.
 
Thank you to these men... Thank you also to God for teaching me to chill out and let you be in control...
 
I wish it did not take such hissy fit in order to get my attention... I need to take a step back and calm down more often...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about that?