January 05, 2013

setting a goal

A couple of months ago, I was power walking with a friend (okay, truth be told, I was trying to jog- but this person runs like a maniac, so my "jog" is a casual stroll in comparison)... He challenged me.

Friend - "when is the last time you set a goal for yourself that you did not reach?"
me - "never"
Friend - "well, then you are not setting them high enough and challenging yourself.
Set a distance goal, a time goal, or something that will be difficult to reach - you
are not pushing yourself hard enough."

It was hard to hear... but so true. I was focusing on the fact that I had never jogged to the mailbox before August 20, 2012... I was tickled with myself and proud of my accomplishments (which I should be, don't mis-read this)... But I was becoming satisfied.

In 2011, I had resolved myself that my body would never change. I had decided that I would just be satisfied... therefore in 2012, I was fat too.  It was not until I got up, challenged myself, and made some huge changes that I was able to see that 2013 would not be there same.

So, I set a time goal. I wanted to run a 5k in less than 45 minutes... I completed the Color Me Rad 5K on October 27th in 38 minutes. Goal achieved. Felt like nothing I had ever done - it was amazing.

In November, I set a clothing size goal. I wanted to be able to button/zip size 10 jeans in a regular store by Valentines Day and a size 8 by July 21st (my birthday). After being a size 22 for many years, I really want to be "average". So, I started being very deliberate with my food choices and exercising. The week before Christmas I went into Gap and tried on a pair of size 10 jeans and then buttoned/zipped them. They are NO WHERE NEAR ready for public viewing, so I am still working on being able to wear them to work by Valentines day... but it is a goal.

This past week I have been doing some research on dehydration and other problems I have while jogging, exercising, and life in general... I am learning that I need to focus more on distance rather than speed just due to my body at this moment.

Well, almost as if on cue, a friend approached me about running a half marathon.... So, I have a new goal. March 17th I will be attempting a half marathon. Ladies and Gentlemen, I am not a runner. I am an "attempter"....

I am writing all of this not to encourage you to run. It is not for everyone. In fact, I do not enjoy it... I enjoy what it is doing for my body, therefore I love it...

I have written this to ask you a question...
What goal are you setting for yourself this month, this season, or this year?

We are much more in control of our lives than we like to take ownership of... We need to stand up, shake off the feelings of self-doubt, and start a program... Let's improve our lives... whether it means getting your body in to better shape, stopping a bad habit, starting a quiet time, cooking more for our families, giving more to our church or charity, spending more time with our family, or maybe even starting to take some time that is just for you...

Set a goal - a lofty one - and then let's work on it together. Accountability helps. Tell a friend. Tell a spouse... heck, tell me - I will happily check in on you and help light the fire under your tail to get you motivated!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about that?