January 19, 2012

finally

my daughter is compassionate.
my daughter is sympathetic.
my daughter is over dramatic.
my daughter has a strong desire to be liked and accepted by everybody.
my daughter desperately cares about what everyone thinks about her, her clothing, her hair, her everything...

she could not possibly be my kid 
 if she did not look exactly like my husband and myself, I would swear that she was
not biologically mine...

over the years, Jess has had kids take advantage of her. she is always the kid offering to bring all of the supplies for all group projects. she takes on more than her share of the projects. she is talked down to or made fun of, and yet quickly forgives and remains "friends" with the brat...

on Friday, Jess had an incident with a girl who has been a brat many times before. their friendship has been a rocky roller coaster at best. on Friday, the girl told Jess to do something but Jess refused. the incident escalated to the girl smacking Jess and calling her a baby...

normally, this would end with Jess crying, me furious, and Jess forgiving her within 24 hours.

HOWEVER

on Friday, Jess punched the girl.

I was thrilled. I was proud. I was relieved.

Jess has seen several girls around her change this year. Girls who she has been friends with, have not been friendly. Girls who have been rude for years, have started to grow up. I think the changes around her have caused Jess to step back and think about just who she wants to surround herself with.

Now, understand, she will spend two days in ISS because she committed "physical aggression"... the girl also has two days (they will not serve time on the same days). I told the administrator that as an educator, I get it. I understand that they elevated their argument and have to be punished....

As a parent, I will not spend 30 seconds worrying about it.
Jess will not spend 30 seconds having any penalty here at home.

Instead, I am encouraged that my daughter is learning to stand up for herself and choose friends a little more wisely....

finally

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about that?