August 04, 2012

more answers

Since coming home on Wednesday from my final results appointment, I have had numerous emails and private messages... so here are more answers to the ones who are interested!

If you do not wish to have more info, you will not hurt my feelings - don't read this... I also do not want every conversation I have to be about my surgery, so I am posting these answers... if you have more questions, I am happy to answer them if I can!


1) what do you eat for your last meal? Well, funny thing... I really did not get a typical "last meal". I was so hopeful that Dr Bruce may have a cancellation this past Thursday, August 2. Therefore, I stopped eating all day Wednesday in order to be able to tell him that I had been on clear liquids and was able to have the surgery early... well, he had no cancellations... AND he decided to completely blow my mind by telling me that I immediately needed to go on a "liver reduction" diet... so, no more food... my "last meal" was a salad only at pizza inn... it was very good, and I would love to have it right now!

2)why do you have to go on a liver reduction diet? Your liver is just like your stomach... it is a growing organ. If you eat and stretch your stomach, you have stretched your liver as well. Because I want to have this procedure laproscopically, I need to be able to provide my surgeon with as much space to maneuver as possible. So, I am on the liver reduction diet in order to make is smaller and more able to be held up and away from my stomach during the surgery.

3) what is a liver reduction diet? It is horrible. It is a high protein shake that is very thick. It is not your normal over the counter protein powder... it is very concentrated. I bought the cappuccino flavored hoping for the best. They are 120 calories each. I am allowed 3-4 shakes a day, so that is at the most 480 calories a day... So far on Thursday and Friday I was only able to drink two full shakes... I will attempt three today - but it is not looking promising. I am drinking a ton of water and crystal light tea. I am praying this liver of mine is becoming tiny...

4) what are you going to miss most? I love popcorn... I love beef... everyone knows that about me. It will be a long time before I have either of these again... maybe 6-8 weeks for the cow... maybe 6-8 months for the pop corn. However, even then the amount will be so dramatically different... I will not even be able to eat a "kids tray" at the movies or a 6 ounce fillet... But, at least I know I will not have to give up my favorites permanently... I did have to give up caffeine and carbonation... I gave them both up a month ago, and do not miss them at all. I thought it would be horrible, but it has not been an issue at all.

5) How will your diet change? The first few weeks will be nuts. If you are interested in that diet, let me know... but after I move to "real" food... I will be "allowed" to eat whatever type of food my body will tolerate. Some who have had this surgery complain that milk-based products make their bellies hurt. Some can eat three bites of ice cream, but the fourth bite will make them sick. I will have to take three vitamins every day for the rest of my life. I will also have to drink 65 ounces of liquid a day. I also need 60-80 grams of protein every day forever... This sounds daunting, but after researching it I  really do not think it will be horrible.

Basically, every thing I put in my mouth needs to count... whether is towards the liquid (jello and sugarfree Popsicles count toward liquids) or toward the protein (did you know that jello has protein and that hummus is a great source while I am on soft food?)... I have been told that after surgery you become a sort of "food Nazi" because every bite matters... if I can only eat 2-3 ounces, I need to make them count... I should not just fill by gut up with junk... what a waste? I should make those bites the best bites ever!



any more questions?


just ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about that?