August 07, 2012

revolving around food

For a week now, I have not been able to eat... Over the past seven days, I have noticed a few things...

Did you know that our lives revolve around food? We live from meal to meal. We meet people for food. We reward with food. We calm children down with food. We make food an event...

Well, when you are not allowed to eat...
if everything revolves around food - you are either not invited or bored.

I have continued to prepare meals for my family. Them eating while I am not has not really been hard. I can see this process as a "means to an end". I do not get mad or upset (yet although those days may come)... but what I have realized is how many useless calories I used to take... licking the knife off, tasting things that I have made for years and know that they taste fine, finishing the last bite for someone, etc..

As I start my new life with my new body, I am going to strive to be different. I think meeting someone for coffee is good... but every outing doesn't have to be for a meal... what about "do you want to go take a walk or a hike?" Why can't we talk with our friends instead of always eating? How about my family going on a bike ride instead of watching a movie?

I am trying to make my life revolve around life... my family, my friends, my church, my work, my interests... I know that food will be involved, but it should not be the focus or goal...

As I am allowed less and less food, I am seeing just how big a part food plays in our society...
maybe that is why there are so many of us who struggle with it...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about that?